Steroids Source Talk | Anabolic Steroid Forum

Go Back   Steroids Source Talk | Anabolic Steroid Forum > [- MY BODY-BUILDING -] > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition Discuss your diet here and modify it if needed.

Steroids Sale. Buy Steroids Online Dragon Pharma Steroids Steroids for Sale Online Steroids Sources Reviews Steroids Sources Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 05:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 177
Likes (Given): 374
Likes (Received): 456
Post new article on IF

What is intermittent fasting?

Intermittent fasting (IF) means restricting the amount of food you eat for a given period, followed by a period of normal eating. It is growing in popularity, among both fitness enthusiasts and the wider population, as a fat-loss tactic - but it is still controversial.

This is because it challenges many established beliefs, such as the importance of frequent eating and meal timing to prevent muscle breakdown. However, proponents of IF say it has multiple benefits, including improving body composition and reducing fat stores while increasing muscle mass.

How would I do it?

There are many ways in which people can approach IF. There's the alternate-day fast, in which you restrict your calories every other day, a fast once in every seven days or a fast every third day. However, the one that's achieved recent prominence is the 16-8 method, when you spend 16 hours a day fasting and the remaining eight hours feeding.

Does it work?

Research shows a variety of benefits of intermittent fasting. Studies conducted on animals have demonstrated increased lifespan thanks to fasting and calorie restriction. Studies have been done on humans too, but the findings aren’t as concrete. However, they are positive in that they demonstrate IF raises insulin sensitivity - which means your body is more efficient at processing nutrients - and lowers body-fat levels and blood pressure.

What are the disadvantages?

A serious problem for many, not surprisingly, is hunger. Going long periods between meals is something we in the developed world are unused to and research shows a higher meal frequency is better for maintaining feelings of fullness.

A bigger issue for those who train regularly is increased expenditure of muscle tissue for energy. Pre-workout carbohydrates and protein in the form of essential amino acids reduce the amount of muscle used for fuel, which would be higher when working out on an empty stomach.

Eating before training also increases protein synthesis, or the building of new muscle tissue, which is also helped by eating high-protein meals consistently through the day. Many IF protocols also preclude breakfast. Although this may be beneficial for fat loss, eating first thing in the morning has been shown to improve memory, concentration and food-choice discipline later in the day.

What are the advantages?

As well as improving your body's ability to process nutrients through increased insulin sensitivity, IF has also been shown to reduce levels of body fat. It does have more practical advantages too - you don't have to worry about preparing meals in advance to ensure you get the right nutrients, and it'll probably save you money since you'll be eating less overall.

So should I do it?

As with any*nutrition goal,*it really depends on your individual goals, physiology, preferences, lifestyle and a host of other factors. Research on IF demonstrates there both pros and cons associated with the approach. Besides, anyone who claims their nutritional methodology is the*single best approach to fat loss is misguided - there are many ways to skin a cat.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:04 PM
VET

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 287
Likes (Given): 377
Likes (Received): 746

I've been intermittently fasting on and off for a number of years now. Only when cutting though.

If we accept that when cutting we are not going to put on additional musle then it makes the concept of restricting calories for certain periods easier to
stomach.

My preferred method is an eating window of 8 hours followed by a fasting period of 16 hours. I find this easy to stick to. Just takes a slight conscious effort not to eat in the morning. You soon get used to it.

I also find that restricting carbs during eating periods is helpful. However I do carb up every 5 or 6 days. I'm about to try carbing up on training days and little to no carbs on non training days. As I get older I find it a lot harder to burn off the fat. I definitely find IF as effective and a lot easier to live with than long term carb restriction.

I'm also a firm believer in trying to eat the way we were made to eat. And that doesn't mean eating every 3 hours or eating processed food.

If you haven't tried it then give it a go. It really isn't as mad as it might at first seem. There's loads of youtube vids and articles on the subject but try this one as an opener . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu8KqV90pKk

Wouldn't try it when bulking though! You'd probably find fitting in the macros required in just 8 hours almost impossible.

Last edited by stillgoingstron; 03-04-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:40 PM
VET

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 236
Likes (Received): 174

Im just starting to learn more about nutrition, I love how whole foods effects the body, diet/nutrition is so important and if you really focus on your foods that you eat and/or dont eat you can see how your body changes from hour to hour, I started to up my sodium intake and I love how it effects my body, I take in a good amount of salt with my preworkout meal and it makes a huge difference in the pump you get also it keep your muscles nice and full throughout the day
People say to me its possible to be too big.....but for me I dont want a physique thats average something thats reachable, I want something thats unobtainable that looks like its so hard to get, yes women hate it, BUT I FUCKIN LOVE IT....SO FUCK IT!! why do I want this??? CAUSE NORMAL FUCKIN SUCKS!!!
Old 03-04-2016, 08:34 PM
VET

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 287
Likes (Given): 377
Likes (Received): 746

It's a fascinating subject. I've been a nutrition test crash dummy for years. It's the only way to really understand it as far as I'm concerned. I'd love to meet up with all those who laughed their bollocks off 20 odd years ago when I used to say that saturated fat is good for you and that we should be eating it. And that carbs make you fat!

Actually I do see some and they are all fat and unfit and on medication for all sorts. Still as long as they stick with all their low fat processed junk they'll be alright haha!