View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 11:19 PM
VET

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):

While similarities remain, particularly in terms of protein sources, there has been a gradual shift, in which refined carbs have been replaced by un-refined carbs. Whereas carbs such as oats and sweet potatoes used to be a BBr’s primary carb sources, we now see guys consuming almost entirely refined grains in the form of white rice, carb powders, etc. Fruits and vegetables, which were at one time staples, have also gone the way of the dinosaurs, with most modern BB’ing diets containing a single piece of fruit at best and vegetables often going M.I.A altogether.

Why did BB’rs slowly transition over to this new way of eating? Rather than by choice, it seems the decision was partly made out of a perceived necessity. With today’s BB’rs carrying such massive amounts of muscle tissue, caloric demand has grown significantly, requiring the individual to eat significantly more than what earlier generations had to contend with. Quite frankly, following these original dietary guidelines made getting in adequate calories even more difficult. Low calorie, high volume foods such vegetables take up room in the stomach, leaving less space for the primary muscle builders, such as protein and more calorically dense carbs. Whole-grains, with their high natural fiber content, slow down digestion and also make it take longer for the BB’r to regain his appetite. As for fruits, well, I think many BB’rs have simply lost track of what’s important, viewing protein and complex carbs as the main muscle builders and therefore, everything else has taken a back seat.

Now, I can see why the very large BB’rs feel they must include a higher percentage of refined carbs in their diet plan, and truth be told, some of these carbs can be beneficial at certain times. But what excuse do the rest of the BB’rs have—the ones who are aren’t yet even close to the size of the 80’s & 90’s pros, most of whom followed diets much closer to or completely in line with the original standard? In my opinion, I don’t think the recent dietary make-over has been wholly necessary or beneficial. There is a place for refined carbs, but not as the primary carb source.

Why all the concern over these changes? Aside from the potentially significant and far-reaching health problems associated with this type of eating, I believe it has been partly responsible for the new “look” we have been seeing on today’s BB’rs. As most BB’rs now realize, insulin & GH misuse can and often does cause insulin resistance, which can result in a variety of metabolic health problems, as well as visual abnormalities, such as enlarged guts. However, I believe it goes further than that. Without getting into detail, I believe insulin resistance and Glut-4 down-regulation is largely responsible, or at the minimum a significant contributing factor in the development of what some have referred to as Palumboism (I use this term simply because Dave is well known and it is the easiest way to describe what I am referring to—no offense is intended). This condition often takes several year to fully manifest (we saw the same in Greg Kovacs) and seems to be characterized by the following features: an enlarged midsection, a soft look to the musculature (in comparison to one’s previous appearance), an eventually muscle atrophy—particularly in the limbs. There are several possible explanations one can use to explain these occurrences, two of which are an increase in visceral and intramuscular fat storage, as well as the inability to properly transport glucose from the extracellular space into the muscle cell. While the above men are extreme examples, these physical aberrations have afflicted a growing number of BB’s to varying degrees over the last 15-20 years—with sufficient frequency to warrant concern and dismiss coincidence as a possible cause.

Consuming a diet high in refined grains and simple sugars and/or dietary fat contributes to this condition through insulin resistance and Glut-4 down-regulation—the same mechanisms by which growth hormone and exogenous insulin cause this condition. However, by modifying our diet and drug use, we can prevent its occurrence. Not only that, but there are many other benefits attached to this practice.

When we improve our insulin sensitivity and up-regulate Glut-4, a distinct nutrient repartitioning effect takes place resulting in the following benefits:

• Increased nutrient uptake in the muscle cell leading to improved recovery & increased muscle growth
• Decreased fat gain
• Improved rate of fat loss via the mobilization of stored fat for energy
• Potentiates the action of exogenous insulin
• Allows us to take maximum advantage of the training window

There are also cosmetic benefits associated with increased insulin sensitivity and improved Glut-4 transport, such as:
• Reduced water retention via decreased aldosterone levels
• Decreased intramuscular fat resulting in improved muscle hardness and density
• Decreased visceral fat stores, improved elimination of digestive matter, and reduced intestinal water retention leading to a tighter waist line

In addition to the above, metabolic and overall health will be positively impacted in a multitude of ways. Although diet is only one factor involved in the management of insulin sensitivity and Glut-4 transport, it plays a crucial role in the overall effectiveness of any program, as it is the foundation on which everything else is built. Without this foundation in place the other components would be only a fraction as effective, forcing us to fight an uphill battle. For this reason, I felt it necessary to spend a little time discussing the role of nutrition in helping us achieve our end goal of improved body composition.

So, how do we put this all together? First of all, it is important to recognize the fact that I am speaking to a general audience and not a single person. This precludes the possibility of me putting together an individualized program. Rather, I will be providing a list of guidelines, or principles, which you will be able to implement into your own program in a way that best suits your individual needs. We will learn how to use training, diet, cardiovascular exercise, supplementation, and drugs in order to improve our body’s ability to use the nutrients we consume and after we have achieved this enhanced muscle-building, fat burning environment, we will look at practical methods of capitalizing on this state in order to maximize recovery & growth, but without the usual negative side effects associated with exogenous insulin use.

The first part of the program we are going to address isn’t really part of the program at all, but is more of a prerequisite to ensure that the body is able to respond optimally to the other aspects of the program. I am referring to one’s level of bodyfat. Many people assume that fat cells are basically inactive, having no specific function other than providing extra energy during times of caloric deficiency. However, the truth is that adipose tissue is highly active, being responsible for the release of non-esterfied fatty acids, glycerol, various hormones, pro-inflammatory cytokines and other factors which can adversely affect insulin sensitivity. As one’s bodyfat percentage rises, the more active this tissue becomes, resulting in decreased insulin sensitivity and subsequent Glut-4 down-regulation. Even relatively normal amounts of bodyfat can have negative affects in this area. For this reason, we want to keep BF levels as low as possible, but not to the point where it becomes a hindrance to muscle growth. For most people, this will put them in the range of 8-10%. By keeping our BF % in this range or thereabouts, we achieve a natural nutrient repartitioning effect, in which the food we eat is less likely to be stored as fat and more likely to be used for recovery & growth.

Many BB’rs fail to include cardiovascular/endurance exercise in their routine, as they believe that it not only burns up calories that could be used for growth, but that it adds further stress to the body, thereby tapping into the body’s limited recovery reserves and impairing muscle growth. These fears are unfounded, as the benefits associated with cardiovascular exercise are well documented both from a clinically and anecdotal standpoint, with experienced BB’rs realizing its value and incorporating it into programs on a regular basis. Aside from the benefits of improved body composition, increased appetite, an enhanced weight training capacity, research has shown that endurance training increases insulin sensitivity and Glut-4 up-regulation trough improved insulin cell signaling. This effect can last for up to 3-5 days after a single bout of exercise, with maximum benefits remaining for 24 hours. By incorporating this form of exercise into your program 3-4X per week, with each session performed within 24 hours of weight-training, we set ourselves up for success at the times it matters most.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0