View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 09:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):
Default 58yo Triceps Distal Recovery

Throughout the 40+ years of lifting I took what I considered reasonable precautions. I wanted to do whatever I could to ensure that I would be able to lift into my 80s, leaving Providence to the rest. In my 20s I simply lifted HARD! My gains where more than acceptable. When I turned 30 I made it a point to have a physical once a year. Not from a family type doctor but from the Orthopedic surgeons at Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN. I knew my body well
enough to realize when I would have to visit a family type doc. I saw a family type doc three times since I was 15yo. Why an orthopedic? With only one
eye I had no depth perception. This is considered a handicap. The staff at Mayo accepted this and granted their ortho staff permission to help me balance.

- Stretching techniques unique to muscle build and thickness
- Muscle building for the rotator cuff and shoulder area
- Joint x-rays / analysis
- Posture analysis / adjustment
- Strength analysis left/right
- Muscle density tests
- Nerve testing to determine any damage
- Reading materials

You get the idea. One of the Orthos recommended Master Trainer. This was a periodical, not really a flashy magazine, that concentrated on what to do to
lift into your 80s and beyond! These were a group of guys that were themselves into their 60s, 70s and a couple in their 80s. They were accomplished lifters. Some power lifters others were body builders. I preferred both styles of lifting although I lean to body building. I have used many sources, searching for the best recipe for me to outlast the body.

Lifting for over 40 years. Then 1.5 hours of surgery on my right arm. I am right handed. I told the orthopedic what I wanted out of this surgery - to come back to at least 90%. I asked him to sew it up 'good'! Then came the cast. The elbow has held nearly straight to minimize bending. Not that it could. This cast was BIG. Bigger than normal to keep me from tweaking the tendon. It was FREEKIN HUGE. Look, I was used to lifting 4-6 times per week, 1-2 hours at a time. I was used to 180lbs, about 15% body fat. NOW ZERO! The first few nights there was sheer panic. I could not sit, stand, lay down - nothing. I was pathetic! The first night I had no relaxant, only whiskey. At least I slept for a couple of hours. The next few days Hydroxyzine and a few shots of whiskey. Hey it got me through until I calmed down.

I had taken over all of the cooking from Christine years ago. Christine is a fine cook however I preferred dishes that were acclimated to the lifting life style and I prefer a wide variety. Appetite fatigue is nothing to mess with. Been there. Before the surgery I cooked a number of things that could be frozen. The rest of the time I directed Christine how to make the food that would deter weight gain. I still gained 20+lbs by the time I could lift again. After 6 weeks came the next cast. This one was smaller and changed the bend or flex of the elbow closer to the body. 6 weeks later came the flexion cast. This one brought the flex even closer to the body and allowed a little flex of the elbow. 6 weeks later came the physical therapy.

Starting with massaging the scar tissue, slight bending. NO pressure. I still wore the flexion for 6 more weeks. After that I took it off even though the
physical therapist was concerned he agreed. At this time I was on to exercises to improve the quick reflex of the arm. Catching a ball or items thrown to me without my knowledge, simply a 'Heads Up' or 'Look Out'! This was to improve the quick response for the tendon. Christine had fun with that one!

Massive stretching and posture work. I really do not understand why more lifters do not concentrate on these two areas! Finally in late November 2017, it was on to the rubber bands. 2lb, 7lb, 15lb test. By the end of December 2017 I was finished with the physical therapy and back at my home gym. In
November I began a low level cycle (1 and 1) of Sustaxyl and Deca. At my age I also picked up a cycle of KalpaTropin HGH. All from GBN and Kalpa.

It has been slow on purpose. It has now been 14+ months. I have:

- lost 10 of the 20lbs
- Bench was 280 x 10, now 200 x 10
- Triceps pull down was 160, now 110 x 15
- Curls are back to 140 x 15
- Squats 350 x 10
- Stamina about 80% of before surgery
- 32" waist jeans are loose and am almost back into 31" waist jeans. That is my version of the Body Mass Index (BMI). What is the waist and shirt size? Or to be to the point, are your jeans telling you that you are overweight? If so, there is an issue with your BMI!
- Back into large shirts that are fitting tighter in the right places

Overall I continue to make gains. I am now moving into my spring diet. The most difficult time of dieting, at least for me, de-carbing! Freekin OUCH! I
expect to have the last of the weight lost and head to a more realistic body fat % of about 12-15%.

Regarding the juice. I have friends that take therapy for low testosterone. They are administered the same stuff that Kalpa sells. Of course the pharma
brands have different names. I saw the prescriptions of my friends. The quantity is roughly the same give or take. I use the same methods to monitor as their doctors do. I have a blood test once a year since I started the gear in 2003. Always perfect. This summer I will kick it up a little bit to be closer to a gaining cycle and hopefully this winter a true gain cycle. I have one more round of HGH however I do not need it at this time.

Years ago I decided that I did not care for the gym crowd. Sure there were serious lifters but most of the people were simply not that serious and wanted to be buddies. I can be your friend outside of the gym. Then there is the waiting for equipment during busy times. Then as the years went by the gym crowed began to reflect a meat market. Again, no thanks. Instead of paying dues I saved $100-$150 /month and began buying my own equipment. My gym is complete and rivals any typical gym.

A short story about the meat market. When I am out of town on business I find a gym. I was in Boston. After work I headed to the hotel to gather my gym bag and change clothes. I noticed this guy watching me walk from the door to the elevator. No big deal except that I saw him in that morning as well - watching me. He was in the lobby area, rather large since this was a luxury hotel, when I came down and headed for the gym. After a couple of hours I returned. This guy was in the lobby again only this time he was kind of hovering near the elevators. The elevator opened and there was no one else getting on except for me. This guy slipped in right as the doors were closing. I looked at him, not angry or shocked. More like ok, what do you want? He said,

'You sure have a nice body.'. I said thanks and then explained, in a matter of fact pleasant tone, that I had been lifting for over 30 years. That is started out as rage management which turned into anger management and now it is simply a habit. Now I do not know what the fellow actually wanted. I was hoping that he would have commented on my statement to start a conversation. However he did not. I would have even had dinner had he simply wanted to talk.

Next time I will discuss my typical workout, diet and method to achieving the elusive 5% in body.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0