View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 04:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):

Zach Marcy: There are so many arguments on when to take post workout meals and shakes. Where do you stand on this and how can one limit the cortisol while promoting muscle recovery?
Charles Poliquin: I have a strong advocate of post-workout liquid nutrition since 1982 with great success. Post-workout liquid was the brain child of doctors working with the former East Germany rowing teams. Originally, it was only maltodextrine solutions designed to meet the high caloric needs of rowers. The knowledge was eventually passed down to other national teams like biathlon and cycling.
Over the years I have worked at improving the formula. Here is the latest recommendations based on my observations and a host of scientific research, on the actual make-up of the drink. These recommendations are for one hour workouts (excluding warm-up time to first work set).
Protein intake: Should be 0.6 g/kg of lean body mass. So if the athlete is 90 kg at 10% body fat, that would represent 50 grams of protein.
Carbohydrate intake: Originally based on the research that was available at the time, I typically recommended 2 g/Kg of bodyweight. Over the years, after being exposed to more research and discussing it with my colleagues, I have come to the conclusion that it should be a reflection of the training volume for the training session. The greater the number of reps per training unit, the greater the carbohydrate intake. Of course, one can not assume that all reps are equal. A squatting or deadlifting rep is more demanding than a curling or triceps extension rep. By the same token, 3 reps slow tempo squats has different caloric demand than 3 reps in the power clean. As a general rule, I would recommend the following carbohydrate intake based on training volume for a given workout:
12-72 reps per workout: 0.6 g/Kg/LBM
73-200 reps per workout: 0.8 g/kg/LBM
200-360 reps per workout: 1.0 g/kg/LBM
360-450 reps per workout: 1.2 g/kg/LBM
Calculate Your LBM
Regarding the source of carbohydrates post-workout, I have experimented with various sources, I like using fruit juices with a high glycemic index (i.e. pineapple, grape) to provide 30-40% of the carbs, the rest of the carbs coming from carb powders such as Ultra Fuel from Twinlab.
For variety sake, I will use different types of juice like a berry blend. You can also any type of mushy fruit like bananas or peaches. For seriously underweight athletes, I may use pineapple and/or corn flakes to drive the glycemic index upwards. Instead of using maltodextrin, you can also use desiccated honey.
Glutamine intake: Recent scientific research has demonstrated that consuming glutamine following exercise can accelerate muscle glycogen resynthesis and glutamine levels, which are critical in the prevention of overtraining, and the creation of an anabolic environment. I recommend ingesting 0.33 g/kg of glutamine, so for a 90 kg man that would be 30 grams. If someone has a higher percentage bodyfat, I up the glutamine and reduce the carbs,
Arginine intake: Arginine greatly aids in storing more glycogen. Usually 3 grams should do the trick
For More Info
It doesn't get much better than this, guys. If you want the secrets of the most elite Olympic and professional athletes in the world, here it is.
For those of you guys impressed with what you have read in this interview I would highly recommend going over to http://www.charlespoliquin.net and at least purchasing Winning The Arms Race. Mr. Poliquin has several free articles and information on the site.
Thanks,
https://www.hypermuscles.com/f68/nutr...y-bulider-983/

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0