View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 12:40 PM
VET

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):

First point is that my training style has changed a lot over the years and even more so in the last two. I really benefit from resting properly now.

I fairly sure that the one thing that has always stayed the same is that I train chest, back, shoulders and then legs. No matter how many sets or reps or days on or off, the order is (usually) the same.

I've also realised that training heavy for low reps (if done properly) hits my CNS hard and needs a lot more rest than training for hypertrophy.

I'm also a big believer - as I'm sure most of us are - that a training plan is a must. That's not to say that having an occasional day of 10 x 10 while mostly doing 5 x 5 is a disaster. If it breaks the monotony then it can't be too bad. But get back on track again asap.

Another reason for having a plan, and as I've aged I've become more convinced of this, is that rest days are rest days. No 'I'll just bang out some bench presses or deadlifts' because I absolutely 'need' to train! That might have worked when I was 30, but it sure as hell doesn't work now I'm 54

But obviously, this is just me. Everyone is different and everyone should experiment and find out what works best for them and focus on that.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0