Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 PM
VET

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):

Stillgoingstrong,

I'll preface my reply with also adding that I in no way believe that my way is the only way either. Also, I think we're on the same page about complex and simple carbs.

You're second reply clarified your rational for eating simple carbs shortly after a workout. I didn't get where you were coming from with regards to eating simple carbs after a workout from your initial reply. That's why bodybuilders pop some slin after a workout, to elevate insulin levels to expedite the transport of amino acids into the cells. Here's what comes to mind for me, when I think about trying to create an insulin spike with simple carbs after a meal: 1): How much simple carbs do you need to eat to effectively create a significant rise in circulating insulin, enough that it would have the effect you are trying to create; 2): are some simple carbs more effective than others; 3): if you can create an insulin spike, how long does it last? The questions go on, as this would be a complex process involving multiple pathways in the body. I have to take ownership of overthinking things sometimes . Bottom line is can you really create this effect with eating simple carbs after a workout?

You mentioned having the carbs digest before protein is consumed. With that, I would go back to thinking if I could create an insulin spike with simple carbs post-workout, how long would there be such a spike. Because, when you then consume a protein source, your body certainly takes time to cleave apart the individual amino acids, which then need to be transported into the cells. That doesn't happen too quickly.

I have experimented with consuming an amino drink while I workout (so that post-workout, I already have an elevated level of aminos circulating in my blood (don't have to first wait to create an insulin spike post-workout, then eat a protein source, and hope that protein digestion and absorption happen quickly enough that they can be effected by the insulin spike I created), and then consuming a simple carb drink when I get home.

Eating fewer carbs to effect weight loss is something that (IMHO) requires a bit of research. If you eat too few carbs, your body will react by utilizing the gluconeogenic pathway to create glucose from amino acids taken from your muscles. Our goal is to increase muscle mass, so we don't want our muscles catabolized to create glucose.

Gluconeogenesis - </title> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> </head> <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000"> <table width="749" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" bgcolor="#CCFFFF"> <tr> <td width="13" height="11"></td> <

Injuries are a Mofo, but as you note for some people, are something that may affect how we go about our workouts. I've got chronic bilateral trochanteric bursitis, bilateral iliotibial band tendonitis, an old compression fracture of the T-12 vertebra, some narrowing of the spinal canal in the lumbar region. In laymans terms, I fucking hurt...... But, we keep going don't we. Desire comes from within, and with desire, comes a way to work around our injuries and keep grinding it out.

Erich

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0