View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 11:16 AM
HyperMuscles Partner

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):
After having placed third in Mr. Los Angeles. A few months later I didn’t have much hope for winning but I tried Mr. California. When it came time to announce the winners, the judges called out the different place positions. I was hoping for at least 5th.
When my name wasn’t called for fifth I felt the show was over for me.
Fourth place was called out. It wasn’t Larry Scott. Chuck Collras, one of the competitors sidled up next to me. “ You’re going to win this thing tonight, Larry.” “No way”, I said not having an inkling of having the slightest chance.
The judges continued calling out the place winners, then finally, “And the winner of Mr. California,…… Larry Scott.” I couldn’t believe it. I wandered out on stage as if in a dream. It was to be the biggest surprise in any contest. I have to admit the main difference was the posing and training advice given by Vince and the nutritional assistance given by Rheo H. Blair. I can’t say enough about Rheo as a person and as an research nutritionist. He was looking into amino acid research before anyone.
“The night I won Mr. California. I was stunned but thrilled.” Having won Mr. California I was now one step closer to my 11 year dream of winning Mr. America. As Mr. California, I was now in demand for the Weider magazines. I acted casual, but I was more than thrilled. We set up a date for the photo shoot at Venice Beach. This was my first chance to meet Joe Weider, who was to become my long time friend.

After the photo session, Joe took me to lunch and suggested I enter his IFBB Mr. America contest rather than the AAU event and I began from that moment to build a friendship which to this day is one of my most cherished. Our friendship grew as I began to prepare for the Mr. America show at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in New York.
You know, I can’t help mention that auditorium without feeling a warm feeling. I journeyed from California to New York for 6 straight years competing on that same stage. The finest was the night I won the Olympia. For personal glory, if there really is such a thing, this night was the pinnacle.
Rick Wayne was there that night… I will let him finish the story as he saw it…
“Over the bedlam you heard Bud Parker trying to introduce the contender from California. You heard, “and gen-men…fornia…the incred.. Fractured words that made as much sense as the noise that now filled the auditorium. The amplified voice of the mohair suited “M.C.” was hardly a match for this New York audience that already was too hot for the next star appearance to be reasonable.
“Lar-ree! La-ree! La-ree!” What had gone on before, was nothing compared to this uninhibited display of enthusiasm and star worship. And all this before Scott had set foot on the rostrum. A disturbing look settled on the face of the “M.C.” He turned from the microphone, waved his arms furiously, shouted to someone in the wings, his eyes glazed. “Where’s Scott?” he shrilled. “Where the hell’s Scott!?!” Desperation had by now fully occupied Bud Parker’s liver.
He needn’t have worried. Larry Scott was only a few feet away in the darkest corner of the wings, oiled and pumped up, quietly sensing the mass of hysteria that his coming had triggered in unflappable New York. After such a display, what judge in his right mind would dare to suggest that any of those who had gone before Scott was more deserving of the right to call himself King of Bodybuilders, Champion of Champions? Mr. Olympia!

For full article with photogallery and videos click here: Larry Scott, biography, pictures and videos. | MusclesProd.Com - BodyBuilding, Fitness and Steroids

MusclesProd.Com - keep in touch with bodybuilding world!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0