Steroids Source Talk | Anabolic Steroid Forum

Go Back   Steroids Source Talk | Anabolic Steroid Forum > [- MY BODY-BUILDING -] > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition Discuss your diet here and modify it if needed.

Steroids Sale. Buy Steroids Online Dragon Pharma Steroids Steroids for Sale Online Steroids Sources Reviews Steroids Sources Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 06:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 177
Likes (Given): 374
Likes (Received): 456
Default Is your metabolism stoked, fella?

The typical mantra in traditional bodybuilder culture is that you should eat every 2.5-3 hours in order to “stoke your metabolism”. However, this is neither scientifically nor anecdotally valid.

This theory that you need to eat frequent meals throughout the day seems to have sustained itself thanks to mainstream media and high-level bodybuilders purporting the benefits of constantly shoveling nutrients down one’s gullet instead of having a few further spaced apart feedings each day. Eating frequently does not “rev” the metabolism more so than eating only 2-3 times per day and here’s why:

Assuming energy/nutrient intake is equivalent between two diets, the thermic effect of food (TEF) will be identical regardless of how the nutrients are partitioned out throughout the day. As an example, let’s say you eat three meals (each containing 60g protein, 60g carbohydrate, and 20g fat) one day and six meals (each containing 30g protein, 30g carbohydrate, and 10g fat) another day. The TEF per meal will be larger on the 3-meal per day diet, but the total 24-hour TEF will still balance out since you’re eating less total meals. Another example of this--say you have an entire pizza sitting in front of you, the TEF of eating that whole pizza remains the same no matter how you choose to divvy out the slices. You could eat half the pizza at two meals or 1/8th the pizza at 8 meals, the total TEF will still balance out in the end.

The bottom line

Don’t buy into the idea that eating smaller, more frequent meals will somehow magically increase your metabolic rate more so than eating a few larger meals because that’s just not how the body reacts thermodynamically. At the end of the day, total energy intake is what will ultimately determine the TEF, not the frequency of that energy intake.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Giant Killer

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 153
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 604
Likes (Received): 185

killer read eazy.... i pretty much go by quota for my intake rather than the number of ,meals as well... i do agree tht by the end of the day it all matters on whether u got ur quota in for the day and not the number of meals.. my usual quota for meal i try to meet each meal is 40 to 60 grams of protein & 60 to 100 grams of carbs..
Old 05-18-2014, 04:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 34

Yeah...I just try to hit my macro and calorie goals at the end of the day...I've noticed for my body that what really counts is the quality of the food providing my macros...what I mean by quality is how clean I'm eating...train insane or remain the same boys! But you can't out train a bad diet....ever
Old 05-18-2014, 05:03 PM
BodyBuilder

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 75

While I don't disagree with the science, smaller meals throughout the day help keep me away from binge eating. Since I am a fatty at heart if I let myself get too hungry I am much more likely too overeat at dinner time or my last meal if I let myself go too long at the end of the day without eating.

More of the psychological aspect of eating for me is knowing that I only have to go a few hours rather than 4-6 so it helps keep my meals smaller and cleaner. It's far easier to eat an entire pizza than 4 mixing bowls full of salad.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:40 PM
VET

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 287
Likes (Given): 377
Likes (Received): 746

I would suspect, that with the sheer amount of food a bulking bodybuilder needs to eat every day he/she would need to divide it into smaller more frequent meals.

As for boosting your metabolism . . . bullshit