Steroids Source Talk | Anabolic Steroid Forum

Go Back   Steroids Source Talk | Anabolic Steroid Forum > [- MY BODY-BUILDING -] > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition Discuss your diet here and modify it if needed.

Steroids Sale. Buy Steroids Online Dragon Pharma Steroids Steroids for Sale Online Steroids Sources Reviews Steroids Sources Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 03:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 177
Likes (Given): 374
Likes (Received): 456
Default 2 grams .. you sure?

The protein conundrum—do you really need 2 grams per pound of bodyweight?

Protein, protein, protein…it seems to pervade bodybuilding subculture that the more protein you eat, the better. But how much is really needed? Many methods/programs, like*DoggCrapp (DC) training, preach that upwards of 2 grams per pound of lean bodyweight is best. Yet, there is little research that suggests you can benefit such amounts of protein.

In fact, an evaluation of the protein needs of strength-trained athletes actually suggests that a more modest amount (around .9-1.25g protein/lb of lean body mass) is plenty for optimal total 24-hour protein synthesis and nitrogen balance. [7]

The key to consider in this instance is that many bodybuilders and athletes are on performance-enhancing drugs, which can in fact promote nitrogen retention and therefore more protein will be better for those individuals. However, it is imperative that people who don’t use PEDs don’t assume that they need those large amounts of protein as well, because they just won’t benefit from it the same way.

The bottom line

If you are an avid gym rat that doesn’t use anabolic steroids or other PEDs that promote nitrogen retention, there is little reason to take in 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight (unless you want acrid-smelling, gaseous effusions coming out your backside, AKA “protein farts”). As noted above, research suggests that a more efficient dose is around .9-1.25g per pound of lean body mass.

For individuals who are using steroids and other PEDs, more protein is in fact likely to confer added benefit, so the 2-gram per pound of lean body mass recommendation is legitimate in this case (but this isn’t to say there is no maximum).

The best way to approach your diet is to make sure you’re taking in nominal amounts of protein, along with enough carbohydrates and fats to reach your daily calorie quota.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:11 PM
BodyBuilder

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 75

As I stated in the other topic on protein, I think 2 grams per pound of body weight is way overkill for most unless they are genetic and PED monsters. I can say at 6'1" and 225 (about the leanest I get) my diet has tops about 1 gram per pound. I am however a true endomorph. I need very little to grow, just steady workouts and plenty of lean meats and fresh fruits and vegetables.

I just can't see someone taking in 75-100 grams of protein 6 times a day being able to get use from it. I think (and could be wrong) that supplement companies get these bodybuilders to say 'Look at me, I was scrawny then started drinking 10 of these protein shakes a day, now I'm awesome!' and people actually believe it. If you are 6'1" and weigh 125 pounds you will need more protein than someone like me but no where near the amount that supplement companies tell you.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:30 PM
VET

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 287
Likes (Given): 377
Likes (Received): 746

I don't know where the idea that we can only digest so much protein at a time came from, though I suspect it was in part from the people who sell protein supplements.

What happens to the protein we are unable to digest? It's not water. It's food. Why would our bodies dispose of food? It just doesn't work that way.

From my own experience and from a logic point of view any excess protein, ie calories, that I don't use will just add to my bodyfat. Why wouldn't it? It's just excess calories, the same as excess carbs would.

Obviously, if you are a musclebound monster then your need for calories, whether they are from protein, carbs or fat may well include 2g per lb of bodyweight of protein. Might even be more. But I doubt that's the norm.

I agree with Eazy that it's a myth that we need to eat protein every three hours or so. That just doesn't make sense either. If you eat the same amount during the course of twenty four hours, whether you eat it every three hours or every six, it will amount to exactly the same intake of amino acids/calories etc etc.

The only possible time I can see when we might need to add extra (faster digesting) protein is post workout, when we need to start the process of rebuilding torn muscle tissue. And that is only so we can start the process a bit quicker than waiting for the next meal in four or five hours.

If we've just eaten a load a protein before working out (not me, I can't work out with a belly full of tuna or beef) then adding extra would probably not make a lot of difference.

I expect there will be plenty who disagree, but that's my understanding.